Jun 26, 2014
The SHIFT (Service and Housing Interventions for Families in Transition) Study examined longitudinal outcomes among families experiencing homelessness and entering an emergency shelter, transitional housing, or permanent supportive housing program.
Their findings include a prevalence of major traumatic experiences for these mothers, which translates to physical and emotional problems among their children as well.
Findings indicate that an effective response to family homelessness by housing and homeless programs should include the following package of essential supports, which St. Lawrence Place aims to embody for families:
- Housing in a setting appropriate for each family
- Comprehensive needs assessments to target services
- Trauma-informed approach for all services
- Case management to address income, education and employment
- Parenting skill training and supports
- Services to address maternal depression and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Child-focused programs and service planning to support health, well-being and academic success