Sep 2, 2014
Years ago, through a special grant from the Central Carolina Community Foundation, we were able to work with Moss Blachman, an expert in homelessness, capacity building and strategic planning. Moss spent months working with our staff and board, teaching us how to make our organization stronger so we could better serve our homeless families.
Jul 17, 2014
We are officially halfway through our first year of implementing our newest program for families at SLP: Heart to Heart: A Positive Parenting Program. You can read more about the program and its goals here. Through a generous Community Enrichment Grant from the Junior League of Columbia, we started this innovative program in January 2014.
Jul 8, 2014
We take nutrition seriously at St. Lawrence Place. In the latest studies, 20% of children were found living in food insecure households. Summer is even tougher on the families with school-age children, because the two meals the schools were providing are also gone.
Jun 26, 2014
The SHIFT (Service and Housing Interventions for Families in Transition) Study examined longitudinal outcomes among families experiencing homelessness and entering an emergency shelter, transitional housing, or permanent supportive housing program.
Their findings include a prevalence of major traumatic experiences for these mothers, which translates to physical and emotional problems among their children as well.
Findings indicate that an effective response to family homelessness by housing and homeless programs should include the following package of essential supports, which St. Lawrence Place aims to embody for families:
- Housing in a setting appropriate for each family
- Comprehensive needs assessments to target services
- Trauma-informed approach for all services
- Case management to address income, education and employment
- Parenting skill training and supports
- Services to address maternal depression and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Child-focused programs and service planning to support health, well-being and academic success